In 1885, Emma (Churchill) Dawson and her husband returned to Newfoundland on their honeymoon. During this time they conducted a series of revival meetings, most of which were cottage meetings in various homes. The success and acceptance of these meetings led to the beginning of Salvation Army work in Newfoundland
In 1886 our first officers were appointed. After a prearranged building was no longer available, they acquired an old furniture factory on springdale street. This building was immediately transformed from making furniture to making saints. Growth was so outstanding, that in a short time a new, larger building was required.
In 1898 a new Number 1 Corps was built on New Gower Street. This much larger building allowed for continued growth and program expansion
In 1942 the new S.A Temple was opened with its new designation (changed from No 1. to Temple). This building was built on the same site as the original old factory on Springdale Street.
For 95 years our congregation served the downtown area of St. Johns. Located near the railway station and the harbour waterfront, many transients and fishermen found a haven for their souls at our services. The Corps reached out to those people with two open air meetings each Sunday and a Saturday evening open air Service. People came from all over St. John's and outlying areas to attend these services. Very successful outreach was also carried out by radio, television and visitation. Special mention must be made of the very popular Saturday evening Gospel Hour and the popular "Calling All Children", a Sunday-School-Type broadcast.
In 1981 withe the downtown area becoming more commercialized (trains replaced by buses, less residential activity), the Temple moved to its present location on Torbay Road in the east end of St. John's. This change in location brought about a change in our program. Increased traffic no longer permitted marching bands and street corner open air meetings. We now have a vibrant music program for both senior and junior sections. These respective groups visit hospitals, senior homes and shut-ins. Our services are delivered direct to Glenbrook lodge by closed circuit television. Youth programs and women's ministries remain popular activities.
For over one hundred and twenty-seven years, from four different buildings, our message has never changed and remains the same today - Christ died for the Whosoever.
-Courtesy of Tom Benson-